Let’s face it, moving is one of the most stressful yet exciting experiences to go through. I’m a planner so naturally, I’m already three Pinterest boards ahead planning meals I’ll cook in the new kitchen, a remodel in the bathroom, decor and new floors….yet, I have forgotten that I still need to pack and clean the old place. Reality legit just hit me in the face!
I moved last year into a new home with my husband and learned quite a few things throughout the process including cleaning essentials to have on-hand all the time…especially through the awkward and slightly uncomfortable stage of moving while everything you own is still boxed up. One of the biggest comforts during the stressful haze of moving is the feel and smell of clean. I think most can agree that clean sheets is by far one of the best things in the world.
When making the big move, I made a plastic container of essentials like laundry detergent, air freshener, mopping supplies, toilet paper, etc. These items not only helped with the new home, but also getting the rental ready for inspection. As most anyone knows about this process is that in order to get that hefty deposit back from your rental, you have to clean until you bleed….just kidding, but seriously. Here are my MUST HAVE items in the moving essentials box:
- Laundry Detergent – I’m OBSESSED with Tide PODS®. These cute little pacs are a 3-in-1 laundry solution, that consist of a detergent, stain remover and brightener all at once. So easy and they smell delightful!
- Toilet Paper – You just gotta have it! I’m kind of a snob when it comes to TP. I can’t do the cheap stuff. Ain’t nobody got time for a rash! I like the Charmin® Ultra Strong Toilet Paper where less is totally more 😉
- Mop – Forget Mom’s old mop where you have to ring it out and change the water a bazillion times. Whoever came out with the Swiffer® WetJet Mop, BLESS YOU! It’s a compact mop that sprays solution on the floor and mops in one easy step.
- Paper Towels – Also a snob about this. I have to have paper towels that actually absorb and offer the smaller size sheet because sometimes you don’t need a whole paper towel. My go-to are the Bounty® Select-a-Size Paper Towels. No matter what the spill is, they’ve got me covered.
- Air freshener – Okay ladies, when you’ve got four or more men helping you move, you have to have beer, toilet paper, and air freshener. They are MEN after all. Don’t torture yourself with their stench. I fell in love with the Febreze Unstopables™ Fresh Air Freshener. They offer so many different scents and you can even match fabric sheets with the corresponding scents. BOOOOYAH!
- Wet Wipes – You just never know!
- Hand Sanitizer – Keep a couple bottles in the bathroom and around the house.
- First-Aid – To clean up all of the booboos! Moving is a full workout y’all!
I couldn’t live without these items. If I wasn’t using them in the new home, I was definitely using them to clean the rental. When moving, things can get scraped and dirt tracks in easily. Having the Swiffer® WetJet made quick cleanups real easy and saved my floors!
I keep a mock cleaning box like this ready at all times and am always stocking up on my Walmart shopping trips.
Also let me tell you, if you know someone who is moving or about to, a moving essentials cleaning box is THE best gift you can get them. Make them up a box with these cleaning essentials (a few snacksdoesn’t hurt either) and they will love you! I know I have had a few friends move and I was unable to physically help, but giving them this was a lifesaver. I still get thank yous for it!
Moving is full of long days and late nights and lots of stress, but quality brands like Bounty® , Swiffer® , Tide® , Unstopables™and Charmin® make your move clean and simple. Ease some of the anxiety by being prepared with Walmart’s New Home Clean Collection like I did. You can even buy online and pick it up in store! WINNING!
For those moving soon, I want to wish you a BIG congratulations! Also, take a second to breathe and enjoy the little moments. Your house or apartment won’t be perfect when you first move in, but be patient. Keep pinning and make those dreams a reality!
PS Our yard looks wayyyyyy different now. Boy what a year can do?!
– B –